Friday, January 25, 2008

Not Always A Good Idea To Close Credit Card Accounts


This is a really terrific peice of advice I picked up recently that I didn't know about for years. Often times I figured it was a good idea to keep up with closing old credit card accounts that I wasn't using because I thought it was a good way to keep control of it all. Well, to my surprise I have since discovered after talking with others that this isn't always a good idea. Apparently some creditors see closing accounts as a sign that you cannot handle the different accounts, in other words, you aren't responsible enough with them so you need to get them closed out and canceled for good. Yeah, I was shocked to hear this too because like I said, I always thought it was just good credit card mainteanence. You should definitely always talk with your creditors before you close out any accounts and be sure whether or not closing that account would put any kind of negative effect on your credit. And remember too to be sure if you are being charged annual fees just to keep a credit card open. Those accounts, when not in use, I would say close no matter what because you certainly do not want to pay out of pocket just to keep a card open. That wouldn't be very smart at all. As I say with everything, always double-check with your creditors first before you make any big changes. Don't be afraid to ask questions because it directly affects you!

No comments: